ALS, a link, and a chance for a cure

>> Monday, May 17, 2010

ALS, or "Lou Gehrig's Disease", is a degenerative disease that causes the motor neurons in a person's brain to die --- leading to the failure of the spinal cord, causing eventual paralysis and loss of muscle control. With ALS, death is inevitable. Upon diagnosis, it usually takes somewhere between two and five years for a person to die from ALS.

Currently, there is no cure for the people suffering from ALS.

I first learned about ALS when I read the book "Tuesdays with Morrie", written by Mitch Albom. The topic has been revisited in ABC primetime show "Private Practice". Now, most recently, I watched ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" that aired an episode about a Georgia man with ALS ("Williams Family") We see the father, diagnosed with ALS, struggling to walk and talk; overridden by ALS, with no hope to see his grandchildren, but an adamant desire to still live while he can.

So why am I posting this?

Here's what I found on the ASL Association website:

"Country music singer-songwriter Mark McGuinn has written a song about the family and the TV program called “Move That Bus,” and the home builder produced a music video.  Several companies are donating funds to The ALS Association every time someone views the video (no cost) at http://www.palmharbor.com/extremephn/video/.  Please encourage everyone you know to view the video."

So, I am encouraging you to click the link, watch the video, and support the ALS Association. No one to deserves to die this way; and with help, we can always find a cure.

WATCH THE VIDEO!

0 comments:

About This Blog

this blog wasn't intended to always be happy or true. it was, however, made to be honest -- an honest expression of my beliefs, my feelings, and what I know to be the Truth. it'll be snarky, sarcastic, and put just as i see the world: might not always be pleasant, but neither is life. i hope that from reading this, i can help you walk through an unopened door and help you see things from my walk of life.

dedicated to

my beautiful daughter, grace anne; this next baby who i hope to love just as much; my husband, who is my strength and inspiration to carry on; my mother and father, who taught me to embrace what i know is right, to love, and to always be the woman God intended me to be; all my siblings, who show me what good the occasional sacrifice, often annoyance, and frequent laughter is.

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP